What are the Best Electric Toothbrush for Gingivitis and Other Gum Diseases
You definitely agree with me that having good oral hygiene is one of the important things we could do to be healthy. Gingivitis and a lot of different gum diseases arise from not brushing your teeth well. Proper oral hygiene has tons of benefit not just for our oral health, but on our overall health as a human being. With these in mind, you are looking for the best electric toothbrush you could use for your gum and overall health. Well, look no further because we have prepared with you the current best in the market.
Based on our research and checking out the criteria for a great electric toothbrush for gingivitis, receding gums, and other gum diseases, we have found that the following are the best:
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare
- Brio SmartClean Sonic Electric Toothbrush
- Philips Sonicare 3
- Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush
- the Oral-B Pro 6000 SmartSeries Electric Toothbrush
- Oral-B White Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
They are the best for such circumstances. We have factored in criteria such as hygiene, depth of cleaning, quality, durability, features and of course, ease of use and price to quality ratio in choosing these best picks.
The list has been updated as of April 25, 2019
Whether you are looking for the best affordable electric toothbrush, the best electric toothbrush and water flosser combo, or even the best electric toothbrush under $50, we got you covered in here. They are all very good for receding gums. So here are our top choices to level up your oral hygiene.
Chillax Easy Lifestyle Blog Product Reviews aim is to increase your lifestyle to the next level, that’s why we are suggesting other products for your ease in choosing products to add in your home or office, If you are also interested in Best Travel Drones, Best Luggage, Best Air Purifiers and Best Microwave ovens, feel free to check the other articles out.
Best Electric ToothBrush
1. Philips Sonicare FlexCare Electric ToothBrush
If you are looking for the recommended one on this list, the Philips Sonicare FlexCare is definitely our best choice for you. It cleans very deeply, has two handles, has a sanitizer, quad pacer and even perfect for traveling. Its bundle includes two handles, 2 brush, Charger, travel kit and charger, and more. Plus, its features are definitely something you are going to love.
This electric toothbrush comes with two handles, 2 brush heads, a UV sanitizer, charger and a travel kit (Case and caps) with a compact charger.
What makes this special is that you can have two brushes instantly, no need to buy another one so you can actually save money.
A UV Sanitizer is also perfect for an electric toothbrush, this ensures that bacteria won’t stay on your brush. UV rays will kill the bacteria, so you don’t need to worry about that. It would create ease of mind for you whenever you use your toothbrush which is very priceless.
Since this also comes with a travel case, cap, and compact charger, this is also one of the best electric toothbrushes for traveling. One big problem when traveling is that we tend to leave our electric toothbrush at home, simply because it is not made for traveling. But not the Philips Sonicare Flexcare. With this, you can carry it anywhere when you want to travel. Just place it in its kit with the charger just to be sure and be on the go.
What I also like about this is if you are only going out for a few days, you can just leave the charger at your home which will save you some space in your bag. Why? because the battery can last up to 3 weeks which is long enough for most vacation. This is really perfect for travelers as you can’t forget your oral hygiene even when traveling.
Another thing that I absolutely love about this product is that it has 3 modes made for you. Clean, white and massage. White is perfect to remove stains which they also guarantee that you will have whiter teeth in just a week. This electric toothbrush is also very powerful that it can reach up to 62,000 movements per minute to assure that your teeth will be very clean. Furthermore, the massage option is really helpful especially if you want to see improvements in your gum health. This is great as it not only cleans but also strengthen your gums.
Because some people forget that your gums are just as important as your teeth on oral hygiene. It is great that this is incorporated into this product.
Another thing is that it has a Quad Pacer, which is really important especially if you want to reach all those spots on your teeth. This reminds you to switch to the other side of your teeth which are (Up, Down, Left, Right). Perfect if you are really busy and don’t really want to worry about that. At least, the brush is going to remind you to switch places to brush. Allowing you to have a perfect clean.
A bonus part of this is that the Quad pacer comes with a 30 seconds interval each, which would produce a total 2 minutes brushing time. 2 minutes is the recommended time by dentists on brushing your teeth. Imagine that you don’t even have to time yourself in producing results.
There are really a lot of things to love about this product, it is not surprising why this is really popular on the market nowadays, its quality and excellence is well seen. Plus, it takes care of your gum health while cleaning your teeth. No wonder a lot of people are loving this product. You will not regret if you choose this one.
- Strong motor capable of whitening your teeth in just a week
- Can remove plaques fasts
- Improves gum health
- Comes with a Quad pacer for your Convenience
- With UV Sanitizer
- Perfect for traveling
- 3 week battery life
- Quickly and Efficiently Clean your Teeth
- Works with Sensitive Teeth
- Full Charge takes long, 18-24 hours but it can last for 3 weeks.
2. Brio SmartClean Sonic Electric Toothbrush
What I love about this product is that this is absolutely the best budget electric toothbrush you could find in the market. Its features are greatly packed to the brim and for its price, you will love what this product has to offer you. This will be the perfect gift for your teeth if you are in a tight budget.
I love that this electric toothbrush is really strong in cleaning your teeth. This makes a powerful 31,000 brush per minute to ensure that the stains, cavity, and food particles are well taken care of. No need to worry about the correct settings for a perfect experience.
Yes, no need because it also comes with a Quad pacer, which will remind you to switch places every 30 seconds, which would make sure that you have cleaned each side of your teeth. This also ensures that your brushing time reaches 2 minutes which is optimal.
Some people have sensitive teeth. You don’t need to worry about that. This electric toothbrush comes with 5 different options which are Clean, White, Polish, Massage and Sensitive mode. These modes will bring your oral hygiene to the next level. There is also a sensitive mode to make sure that you won’t hurt your teeth and gums.
Since they have these options and settings in place, these are perfect for beginners who just want to try having an electric toothbrush. A great budget-friendly toothbrush that comes with a high-quality product. Plus the functionality is extraordinary.
Thinking of battery life? No problem since it can last for 6 weeks on a full charge! Absolutely insane battery life so you won’t have to worry much about it.
What’s more to that is that it comes with a 2 years warranty! Definitely a good deal. There is no way that you will not love this product. It is not surprising that a lot of customers online gave this product a positive review. You will surely love it if you decide on this one.
- Perfect for Budget, Very Affordable
- 5 brushing modes including “Sensitive Mode “(Good for Sensitive teeth)
- Battery can last up to 6 weeks
- Comes with a 2 minute timer and Quad pace
- Powerful Motor can do 31,000 Movements per minute for efficient cleaning
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
- Complaints on the Auto-Shutoff Feature, but remember that 2 minutes is the optimal time for properly brushing your teeth. Longer than that is just too much
3. Philips Sonicare 3 Series gum health rechargeable electric toothbrush, HX6631
If you are looking for a Philips Electric toothbrush but on a tight budget, the Philips Sonicare HX6631 will definitely be your friend. Its features are also on the great level to give your teeth the gift it deserves. Plus, it is really helpful for people who have some gum health issues. This is a recommended toothbrush for people with gingivitis and other gum diseases.
What I like about this is that it also has a strong motor which can go as strong as 31,000 strokes per minute. That is enough to thoroughly clean your teeth.
In addition to that, it also has a timer which goes for 2 minutes to ensure that you have thoroughly clean your teeth. It also has a Quad pace which will assure that you have reached all the spots that needed cleaning when brushing your teeth.
This also comes with an easy to grip handle which will really help your toothbrush have a long life. Of course, the enemy of these type of machine is that if you suddenly dropped it. The probability of you dropping this product is much less than the others due to the grips. Furthermore, the grips would also increase your convenience in holding your brush while you clean your teeth.
What’s more is that even that it is really gentle for your gums, its cleaning power is not to be mistreated as it is 6x more powerful than an ordinary toothbrush in terms of cleaning power.
If you are still not satisfied with this product, it also comes with 3 modes to make sure that it would cater to your need from light cleaning to a really deep clean.
All of these features come with this product. Definitely a great pick if you want to quality of Philips. This is also perfect for people with gum issues. Cleaning your teeth has never been this convenient with this product.
- Perfect for Gum Health
- Has 3 Intensity modes to satisfy your needs and preferences
- Easy to grip handle for maximum control and to prevent dropping the brush
- Can indicate if battery is low so you can charge it immediately
- Reminds you to change the brush heads, so it would be one less thing you have think about
- Comes with a timer
- 6x more cleaning power than ordinary toothbrush
- Has a Carrying Case for Travel
- Can be a bit noisy
- Some reports on Durability Issues
4. Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush
I know how hard it is to reach those tight spots in between your teeth. That’s why you need to floss every day. This becomes a pain for some as they want to have an electric toothbrush that can do both, well your search is over since the Waterpick Water flosser and toothbrush is one of the best water flosser electric toothbrush combo you could find in the market.
What I love with a water floss is that since it uses water in cleaning, it can reach the tight spaces in which an ordinary floss could not reach. This is really perfect if you are looking for something to ease your brushing regimen. This also completes the care you could do for your teeth. This itself is a good reason why this is part of the best in this list.
Another thing to love about this product is that you have tip storage within its space saving design. This storage is totally helpful as you can place your brush heads in it to prevent dusts or bacteria to reach your brush which would be one less thing you have to worry about.
Another advantage of a water flosser is that it is really helpful with people with braces. Let us admit it, flossing with braces can be a pain. This is a good and more effective substitute for you. If you are having trouble on that, we recommend you this for your oral hygiene.
Imagine having a two in one oral hygiene kit in your place. What’s more is that is it more effective than an ordinary toothbrush and floss. What else do you need if you have this one? Combine it with the tips I gave below and your treat will definitely have a treat.
Tip: Use warm water for your water floss if you have sensitive teeth and gums. This will make it more convenient for you. Another is if you want extra clean, you can add some mouthwash to the water in the water flosser which would lead you to the ultimate clean!
- Perfect Water Floss and Electric Toothbrush Combo
- Has a Storage for your Brush, perfect to prevent unwanted bacteria
- 2 Speeds Brush with Timer and 30 seconds timer
- Comes with a Travel Case
- Cool design
- Water flosser is loud
- Cold water can trigger sensitive teeth, so make sure to place warm water to prevent these issues
5. Oral-B Pro 6000 SmartSeries Electronic Power Electric Toothbrush
I know that cleaning your teeth forcefully would lead to gum disease. In fact, it is really hard to find the optimum level in order to achieve this. This won’t be a problem with the Oral-B Pro 6000 since this is an electric toothbrush with a pressure sensor.
What a pressure sensor does is that it detects how much pressure you are applying when you brush your teeth. After that, it responds by either decreasing or increasing the power of strokes to make sure that you won’t be damaging your gums. This is perfect for people who are careful of protecting their gums or people who are having some gum problems.
With this feature, you can achieve both cleaning efficiency while protecting your gums. Overall, cleaner oral health. A good win and gift for your oral hygiene.
I also love that even if that is the case, it is still able to remove 3x more plaques than an ordinary brush. Really helpful for people who need that squeaky clean feeling after brushing their teeth.
This is also perfect for people who do not need to know the specific of pressure, timer and whatever it is when brushing their teeth. The smart sensor will make sure that you will have optimally clean teeth in every brush.
In addition to this really helpful feature, it has 5 modes which will ensure that even the most sensitive teeth can benefit in using this one. With this, you don’t have to worry if you have sensitive teeth, or you need a deep clean. These 5 modes are definitely more than enough to cater everyone’s needs.
What’s more is that this is perfect for busy people, because it can be connected to an App which would track your brushing.
It also comes with a Lithium-Ion battery which are fast charging and will take up to 2 weeks to drain.
Overall, this a very great electric toothbrush to have. You will not go wrong if you choose this product. Its smart option is definitely a catch and if you don’t really want to talk about the specifics, and just let the sensor adjust when you brush your teeth, this will be your guy. Prepare to take your oral hygiene to its maximum potential.
- Smart Sensor for Easier Cleaning and Convenience
- 3x more cleaning power than ordinary tooth brush
- 5 Cleaning modes to cater every need
- Fast Charge Lithium Ion Battery
- Comes with Timer
- With an app to track your brushing
- Even if it is fast charging, it needs to be charged frequently (up to 2 weeks)
6. Oral-B Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
If you want a really good toothbrush but in a tight budget, the Oral-B Pro 1000 is a great choice for you. It is one of the best electric toothbrushes under 50 dollars. But even if that is the case, its motor power and features are definitely not to be taken lightly. This is still a great choice if you want a basic electric toothbrush that will also help your teeth and gum health achieve that healthy feeling you can really feel in just a few weeks.
This is a really good electric toothbrush especially that it also has a smart sensor, which will stop the brushing when you have too much pressure. This ensures that you would not hurt your gums when you brush your teeth. Gum health is key and protecting it would prevent gum diseases.
With its efficient cleaning which has 3x more cleaning power than an ordinary toothbrush, this would prevent the formation of plaques and cavities which can prevent gingivitis.
To add in the features, it also comes with a timer so you will always brush your teeth on the optimal time recommended by dentists. This would make you brush your teeth nicely and evenly. Not leaving dirty spots which could accumulate bacteria.
For a budget electric toothbrush, this is definitely a great choice for you. The important features are well in placed not just to clean your teeth, but to take care of your gums. If you decide on this one, you would surely love it. Your teeth and gums deserve a treat. You will absolutely not regret if you decide on this one.
- Smart Sensor for Easier Cleaning and Convenience
- 3x more cleaning power than ordinary tooth brush
- Comes with a timer
- Great Budget Electric Toothbrush
- Takes care of your gum health
- Easy to Handle
- No variable speeds
- Not recommended for traveling
Tips and Tricks on Brushing you Teeth Well and Taking Good Care of Your Oral Hygiene
Having the best electric toothbrush is a factor in taking your game to the next level, but having the best practices and techniques on keeping your teeth clean is another important aspect. Here are the tips and tricks we have gathered in keeping your oral hygiene free. This would definitely reduce the occurrence and take care of your oral hygiene problems such as gingivitis and other gum diseases.
Tips for a better Oral Hygiene
1. Remember to brush your teeth twice each day – Brushing at least twice a day can remove harmful bacteria and plaques in your teeth. Gingivitis is caused by an accumulation of plaque made by bacteria. These plaques cause inflammation which can be prevented or controlled by brushing regularly
2. Use a Soft Bristled High-Quality Brush – To achieve maximal results, we need to have a good quality brush. This will not be a problem if you are using the best electric toothbrush in the market.
3. Replace the Brush every 3 to 4 months – Even the highest quality brush loses its cleaning capacity over time. The brush can become loose and can cause more harm than good. Moreover, Bacteria tend to stick on your brush after a lot of use. So you definitely need to change the brush frequently to prevent it from causing harm to your health.
4. Remember the Magic Number “2” – Remember to brush your teeth TWICE each day for TWO minutes each.
5. Don’t forget to clean the in between your teeth with a string of floss or a water flosser – Make sure to clean the in-between if possible once each day. This prevents accumulation of bacteria which leads to bad oral hygiene. Moreover, most of the plaque problems come from the sides because people tend to forget flossing.
6. Oil Pulling – If you like to try natural ways to clean further your teeth, we recommend you to try Oil Pulling can work wonders. It takes time but there are a lot of benefits in using one. The best thing to use is coconut oil since it has natural antibiotic properties. Sesame oil can also work. I also use coconut oil.
7. Mouthwash – We recommend you to use mouthwash for a better clean. This is an alternative if you don’t want to use the oil pulling method.
8. Stay Away from Acidic and Sugary Drinks – Acidic drinks tend to weaken your enamel which acts as a barrier for your teeth. This enamel protects your teeth from outside harm. Acids tend to weaken your enamel. That is also the reason why coffee lovers tend to have weaker teeth. Their enamel becomes weaker which makes their teeth vulnerable to tooth decay. Another is that sugary drinks tend to increase the multiplication of bacteria on your teeth, this seems to further increase the rate of plaque production and tooth decay.
9. Don’t leave your toothbrush on the Bathroom – It has been researched that toothbrush left in the bathroom for a long time tend to be inoculated with bacteria found in stool such as E.coli. That is a really Bad thing. I still see a lot of people still leaving their brush on the bathroom. Please don’t do that. You must not place your toothbrush in the bathroom. I place mine in my bedroom.
10. See your Dentist Regularly – There is no better cure than prevention. If you see your dentist regularly, you will prevent bad things to happen on your teeth. Schedule regular cleaning and check-up sessions. This practice makes sure that you won’t regret it later.
How to Properly Brush your Teeth
As I said, you can have the best toothbrush in the market, but without the right application on how to use it properly. It would just go to waste. So here are the step by step proper ways to brush your teeth for a squeaky clean.
1. Floss your teeth – Flossing comes first. This ensures that you won’t forget to do it after. It cleanses the hard to clean places on your teeth. Make sure to floss once each day.
2. Prepare your toothbrush – Prepare your toothbrush, drop some water so it can become wet then place a tiny bit of toothpaste. Yes, do not put a lot of toothpaste. I know it looks great but you are just wasting your money if you do that. A teeny tiny pea sized toothpaste is enough to clean your teeth.
Secret Tip #1: I always have squeaky clean teeth and my friends always wonder why my teeth always look amazing. My dentist also says that my teeth is clean every time I am scheduled for cleaning, and he is wondering why. Want to know my secret? I do oil pulling once a week. Make sure to try it out too.
Secret Tip #2: But that is not why my teeth is squeaky clean. The secret for a squeaky my clean teeth is I apply a tiny bit of salt to my tooth paste. I don’t know but my aunt taught me this before and I am still doing it every night. The result is I always have squeaky clean teeth each and every time I brush my teeth. Be warned though. Once you place some salt, your tooth paste will not bubble much.
3. Start at the Back – Start brushing your molars because they need a lot of work. A lot of people forget to clean the sides of their teeth. The secret there is to put your Toothbrush at a 45 degrees to target the sides. A good electric toothbrush will help you achieve this easier and faster than the cheap ones. Now, do circular motions so that the brush can hit every spot needed to be cleaned.
4. Work your way up and Roll the brush – To further hit the must clean and the hard to reach spots, make sure to rill your brush back and forth and to also do a circular motion in brushing.
Secret Tip #3: Do not force in brushing your teeth, you know that you over brushed it if you gums bleed. That is not a good thing. Take care of your gums because they are integral part of your oral health. The tolerance is not the same for each individuals, know what is the right pressure for your teeth.
5. Do not forget to brush behind the teeth – People tend to forget brushing the back of their teeth simply because people don’t see it often. No! Just imagine that most of the plaque usually comes from the back of the teeth. Why? Because they don’t brush it. Make sure to brush the back side of your teeth the same as the ones in front.
6. Brush your Tongue and the inside of Cheeks – Do not forget that by surface area, the cheeks and tongue cover more than your teeth. This means that more breeding grounds for bacteria. Make sure to also brush your teeth and the sides of your cheeks. This is also the reason why a lot of people use mouthwash.
7. Rinse – Finish with a rinse. Some people use mouthwash in this part. Whatever it is, make sure to rinse. Some people suggest not to rinse and just spit the toothpaste. I think of that as unhealthy considering that too much fluoride is also bad for your overall health. Just my opinion though, I still recommend you to rinse after brushing.
If you are wondering the criteria we have used in choosing the best electric toothbrush, well this is the portion where we specify the criteria we have chosen. Feel free to also use these so as you can find the best one for you.
Also, take note that some of the criteria might not be critical for you, some might not. In the end, it boils down to the person’s preference.
But before that, we should answer why you should get an electric toothbrush.
Why get an Electric Toothbrush
Your dentist might have handed you an ordinary toothbrush for your teeth. An ordinary toothbrush is great but the manner, pressure, and strokes are also important in brushing your teeth.
What are the optimal strokes per minute needed to achieve those perfectly cleaned teeth? How fast? How much force is needed? All of which are things that you need to consider if you want to fully brush your teeth.
Easy to use
One of the reasons to get an electric toothbrush is that it is easy to use. Just put your brush in your teeth and in just a press of a button, you get the optimum settings in removing those pesky cavities. This is the wonder of using an electric toothbrush, and that’s why a lot of people are using it. It saves them a lot of time and effort to achieve that fresh and clean teeth feeling.
More Strokes per Minute
Some Electric Toothbrush can go of for a whooping 40,000 strokes per minute. That is great to remove those plaque and cavities wandering around your mouth. An ordinary toothbrush with the help of your wrist can only go for approximately 600 strokes per minute. That is a big difference in their cleaning power. So in terms of cleaning power, the electric toothbrush generally has the advantage.
Everybody can Use them
Are you having trouble teaching your kids to brush their teeth? Well that is no wonder. Believe me it is normal. My parents also had a really hard time teaching me how to properly brush my teeth. I did not have the luxury to have an electric toothbrush until I have grown old, but it could be a life saver for parents to properly take care of their child’s teeth by buying an electric toothbrush for them. Easier to use and can function well.
Because each settings is made to be on the optimal level in just a press of a button, adults and kids can both enjoy the benefits of having an electric toothbrush.
How to pick the Right Electric Toothbrush
There are 3 types of electric toothbrush according to their strokes.
- Rotating/Oscillating brush – Oscillating means that it turns. Because the brush turns while you brush your teeth. These can go to as much as 7,500 strokes per minute which is really good and helpful in removing plaques. Because they are rotating, they tend to also reach the hard to reach places easier, which is a pain for manual toothbrush.
- Ultrasonic Brush – This type of electric toothbrush uses vibrations to clean your teeth efficiently. It can go to a whooping 40,000 strokes per minute for the newer models and they are really great in removing cavities. This is a great choice if you are always looking a powerful brush to remove cavities on your teeth.
- 2 in 1 Brush – As the name implies, it has 2 moving heads to further clean your teeth. This type of brush leads to an ultimate clean.
Finding the right bristle for your teeth is essential. While it is true that hard bristles make a really deep clean, it is not recommended for sensitive gums. I use medium bristles. Some might even need extra soft bristles especially if they have sensitive gums.
Remember that brushing your teeth does not only mean that your teeth should be clean. Consider your gum health because it is just as important as your teeth for your oral health.
Also, I recommend soft bristles if the one using the toothbrush is a child.
Not all of them are made the same, some have special features which are worth taking. Here are some of the important things you could look for.
Since Dentists recommends brushing your teeth twice a day for 2 minutes (Remember the magic number 2 above?), it is really hard to guess if two minutes is already done. So some toothbrush have a built-in timer for this. It is not a necessity but really important feature for some. If you want this feature, make sure to check it out when you are buying.
If you are just mindlessly using your toothbrush, most of the time you will tend to forget to brush some other sides of your teeth. Since you should brush four sides of your teeth (Up, down, left and right), it is sometimes hard for us to guess when to switch places each time we clean our teeth. Quad pacers help in that. It helps in assuring that you are cleaning every single side of your teeth in every brush.
Since you use your brush to clean your teeth, chances are bacteria are going to stick down the brush. This is inevitable. However, you could have some safety measure such as UV sanitizers in the brush storage to kill those pesky bacteria lingering in your brush. Giving you an ease of mind when using the brush.
It is still recommended that you frequently change your brush heads though. Even if the head is clean, the bristles will still get damaged in the long run through constant use. Which would cause more harm than good if you keep using it.
Most bacteria stays in the tongue especially if you often forget to clean it, causing bad breath. It is not surprising considering that tongue consist of a large surface area in your mouth. To help in this, some electric toothbrush have a tongue cleaner. Anyway, you could just buy a tongue scraper to be honest. It is cheap.
This means that in some electric toothbrush, you can share the motor and have a separate brush heads.
NO! Do not share your brush heads. That is just gross. What I mean by this is some electric toothbrush can have color coded brush heads. This ensures that you would use the right brush head for you. With this, you can save money by having one motor with multiple brush for your family.
I repeat, do not share your brush to others. The motor is fine.
Sensitivity and Deep Cleaning Mode
Some electric toothbrush has the ability to strengthen its power especially if you really need a deep clean on your tooth. This is especially helpful if you ate some barbecue or some grilled squid.
While for some people who have sensitive teeth and gums, a quick clean setting can be necessary for their needs.
If you have some sensitive teeth, maybe an electric brush with modes will be more beneficial for you.
Some electric toothbrush comes with a storage case specifically made for your travels. This is perfect if you are a frequent flier or you always tend to go on a vacation which I am guilty of.
The goal of Chillax Easy’s Product Reviews will always be to improve your lifestyle to the next level. That’s why we are posting products and services that will definitely increase your quality of life. Give you more satisfaction and of course, the best products and services that is in the market just for you. That’s why we recommend different products and services such as the best Carry-on Luggage, Robotic Pool Cleaners, Power Wheels, and best Memory foam Mattress. Feel free to browse through our website and find out more amazing products.